Monday, April 6

Political Correctness and all that...

Let me start by first saying I'm not a politically minded person in the least. Sure I have an idea of what's current and a notion of the various political standpoints of the many parties - these days it's hard to go anywhere without being bombarded with political rhetoric, that being said I do still have my opinions regarding our democracy and thus I feel I need to comment on the past few months in our sunny Rainbow Nation of South Africa - or is it...
I must say I'm more than a little despondent with the current political systems and structure of government, I mean are we as a country serious about electing someone who is mired by allegations (albeit now withdrawn) corruption charges, who is publicly opposed by Nobel Peace Prize winners and who seems to get out of every sticky situation with unimaginable public support as head of our government? It seems already a certainty but I'm sorry Mr. Zuma, I really can't endorse you as the best possible candidate to lead and represent South Africa.
As for the current ruling party, yes I am talking about the African National Congress. Are we seriously stupid enough to re-elect a government who have made outrageous and ultimately empty promises of upliftment of infrastructure and quality of life for all South Africans including jobs for all, housing, free schooling and decent health care - to date I haven't seen much of these brought to fruition... I mean, for the past four and a half years they have not only had majority, but more than the required sixty-five percent to effect legislation change to the Constitution pretty much unhindered, now I ask - what exactly have they done?
Of late though, there seems to have been a massive drive to improve the roads and infrastructure, and to clarify when I say of late I am in fact referring to the last two months, round about the same time the campaigning for the elections went into full swing - anyone seeing a parallel here? I happened to be watching television a few evenings ago and a teaser for a programme showcasing the government housing programme successes over the last decade - being aired on SABC - promoting the ANC providing low cost housing to people in the townships. More election propaganda?
Needless to say, I have had it with the "look at what we've done" nonsense the current regime and leadership's been punting especially as they really haven't done much that's actually benefited the general populous, myself included, other than demoralise us by embarrassing the whole country in the eyes and general opinion of the rest of the world, it's time to actually deliver on promises you make, take responsibility and bugger the blame card, stop playing family or friend favourites and make appointments based on experience and expertise, lets get the country fixed and give your people something to be proud of again.
This is quite a rant for my first post - and as I'm not very interested in the comings and goings of political circles, it makes me wonder what a more involved person, possibly being more inclined to say or do something is thinking. Regardless, I will be casting my ballot with the rest of the voting public on voting day, just so I'm able to voice my opinions and gripes for the next five years, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

1 comment:

gir said...

dude, nice first post! i will agree with you right there. keep in mind that part of the reason all the infrastructure (and excuse the disjointed nature of my comment) upgrades have been happening are almost entirely to do with the 2010 soccer world cup. no world cup, no upgrades to infrastructure... also... the statistics speak for themselves where the DA-led City of Cape Town has actually been spending it's allocated budget and doing things. having said that... the DA have alot to prove to the public in order to change the perception of ANC supporters to see where the ANC have failed and the DA will deliver. the entire system under the ANC-led national government is a farce and a mockery of the judicial system and constitution. it's against the spirit in which the ANC veteran stalwarts like Oliver Tambo, Nelson Mandela and so on fought for freedom to liberate this country. we have numerous idiots (too many to bother mentioning since they're all equally insignificant) who have significant effect on raising our blood pressure and tempers. the ANC voter base vote ANC only because they "freed" them from an oppressive white apartheid government. the DA is perceived as a "white party" and thus they won't vote on the connection of "white and apartheid". ironically Hellen Zille herself fought the oppression of the apartheid regime and is actively involved in trying to better the plight of the poor in this country. its unfortunate that my comment sounds very pro-DA... but it certainly appears as though they're trying to make a difference. unlike JZ who has more controversy surrounding him than there is space junk orbiting earth, at least Zille is clean in the public eye. JZ should be called "Teflon Man"... because nothing sticks. nothing!